Philly-style Italian hoagie
When I lived in the Philadelphia area, my dad started making Italian hoagies.
Later, when my parents opened the Scotto's restaurant in New Zealand, this
was one of its most popular menu items.
- French baguette
- Capacola ham
- Genoa salami
- Shredded lettuce
- Tomato, sliced
- White onion, sliced
- Cherry pepper relish (Cento brand is good)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the baguette in half, removing the ends.
- Tear out the middle of the bread, leaving a shell.
- Layer ham, salami, and provolone inside the bread.
- Add tomato, then onion.
- Add lettuce.
- Slather with cherry pepper relish.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.