Biscuits and Gravy
This recipe is based on my dad's, which in turn is based on a very old Betty Crocker recipe, I think.
I've made a few modifications to suit my own tastes.
The biscuits are just store-bought buttermilk biscuits. Prepare per their instructions.
The recipe for the gravy is as follows.
- 2 lb. sage ground sausage
- 5 cups whole milk
- 8 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup flour
- a generous amount of black pepper
- a less generous amount of salt
- Brown the sausage in a large pan. Remove from heat when done.
- Melt the butter in a stock pot.
- Whisk the flour into the butter until a roux is formed.
- Slowly add the milk to the rue, stirring constantly.
- Add the sausage, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.